• Derived from the word YUG that is to join or union,union of the soul to the PARMATMA.
• YOGA is the cessation of consciousness.
• Ultimate aim of yoga is self evolution
While ashta means eight and anga means limb, we can say that these are steps as much as limbs. They are limbs in the sense that they all belong to the same body of teachings and each is essential, but they are steps in the sense that there is logical order to them and to how they must be approached.
• Yama : discipline towards society or the “don'ts”
• Ahimsa….non violence
• Asteya….non stealing
• Brahmacharya…transcendence of all desires
• Aparigraha…living in a state of non attachment
• Niyama : discipline towards yourself or the “do's”
• Tapas….Purification of desires by self discipline
• Swadhyaya….study of oneself to reach one’s inner self
• Ishwarapranidhanan….total , unconditional devotion to GOD
• Asana : steady posture
• Pranayama : control or discipline breathing
• Pratyahara : withdrawal of senses
• Dharana : concentration or one-pointedness
• Dhyana : stage of meditation
• Samadhi : peak of meditation or Super-conscious state
• Therapeutic Yoga is the clinical application of the science of Hatha Yoga for various medical disorders.
• The aim of therapy is to cure disease and relieve pain, yoga corrects the internal malfunction, all other systems relieve only symptoms which is only a part of the ultimate aim.
• Asana is a cure for physical, mental and emotional disorder.
• Eg. In a disease like migraine other systems alleviate the pain, but yoga regularizes the blood flow to the brain and hence restores the stability of the nervous system.
YOGA IS NOT ONLY A CURATIVE SCIENCE.
IT IS ALSO A PREVENTIVE SCIENCE.
YOGA IS NOW CONSIDERED AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE ALLOPATHIC FORM OF MEDICINE.
DON’T YOU THINK YOGA SHOULD BECOME A FRONTLINE THERAPY FOR CERTAIN DISEASES.